Sunday, June 24, 2018

Email setenta y tres

Jan 8, 2018

Most of my family knows that before I left on my mission, I would always complain about how much I disliked riding bikes, and how much I was dreading having to ride bikes on the mission. Whenever the family would go mountain bike riding, I would always whine about how terrible it was, and how much I hated bikes. I really ruined the whole experience for everyone else, I was quite the Laman and Lemuel of the family.

Being in a full bike area has been a great experience for me. First of all: it has made me appreciate cars more. I really was super blessed to have my little truck in high school. I actually really miss that thing. I remember how upset I was when Mom and Dad told me I couldn't take it to BYU, I really acted like a brat. I thought I was entitled to the truck. In reality, I never spent a single cent on that thing, and never bought an ounce of gas with my own money. It was an unearned, undeserved gift from my parents. And I took it completely for granted. Second of all: it's been a humbling experience. Riding everywhere is pretty tiring. It helps me realize that my strength is very little. There have been times where I have actually prayed for help to make it over a hill, and I have felt that help come. Also, this has helped me stop caring what people think. People might think awful things about us as they drive by, but I can honestly say I don't care. I know that as I'm riding my bike to make it to an appointment or to get to an area, God is proud of what I'm doing, and He is happy I am serving Him. That's what matters to me. Especially as the weather has gotten cold, things have been tough. Riding bikes in 15 degrees is REALLY cold, especially because of the windchill. A couple times I haven't dressed warm enough, and I've paid the price for that.

On Christmas Day we watched the movie Ephraim's rescue at a members house (we found out later that we can only watch movies on Gospel Library, or movies that are specifically approved by President, but still a super great movie). It is pretty much 17 miracles, in that it shows the hardships of the Willie handcart company, but it focuses on the life story of an early convert to the church named Ephraim Hanks, who because of his remarkable faith, had a gift for healing and even raising people from the dead through Priesthood blessings. We watched it in Spanish, which was pretty cool because I understood everything. Anyways, as I watched some of the hardships that those in the company endured, it made me feel incredibly blessed. Many walked hundreds of miles in the snow, barefoot. I can't even imagine that. My face gets pretty cold at night as the wind hits it while I'm riding, but I can't imagine my face getting cold enough that parts of it start freezing, dying, and falling off. I honestly do not believe I could do what they did. And most did it without complaint. I don't think we will ever fully comprehend what they went through. It makes me think of 1 Nephi 17:6 "And it came to pass that we did pitch our tents by the seashore; and notwithstanding we had suffered many afflictions and much difficulty, yea, even so much that we cannot write them all, we were exceedingly rejoiced when we came to the seashore." I think we often miss that part when we read First Nephi.

We don't comprehend just how difficult the journey must have been for Lehi's family, especially Lehi himself and Sariah, being pretty old to cross the entire Arabian peninsula from Jerusalem. As Nephi says, they literally suffered so much hat they couldn't even write everything they had suffered. In verse 4 of chapter 17 it says their journey took EIGHT YEARS! Now, to be fair, the journey shouldn't have taken nearly as long; we learn in Alma chapter 37 the real reason it took so long:

"41 Nevertheless, because those miracles were worked by small means it did show unto them marvelous works. They were slothful, and forgot to exercise their faith and diligence and then those marvelous works ceased, and they did not progress in their journey;

42 Therefore, they tarried in the wilderness, or did not travel a direct course, and were afflicted with hunger and thirst, because of their transgressions."

It was because of the unbelief and slothfulness of certain members of the the family. *cough cough* Laman and Lemuel *cough*. A journey that could have taken MUCH less time took 8 years! They caused themselves so much unnecessary suffering because they were determined to rebel against the very God that had saved them from certain destruction! In Be 100% Responsable, Elder Robbins says: "When reading  1 Nephi  and 2 Nephi, we  can only  try  to imagine  how  difficult  it  was  for  the members  of  Lehi’s  family  to  leave  their  home;  to obtain  the brass  plates;  to camp out  for eight years  in the  wilderness;  and to  build  a large  ocean-going  vessel.   The  responsibility  that  faced  the family  was  indeed,  formidable.   Yet,  as  difficult as  a  responsibility  may  be, “difficulty  is  the  one excuse that  history  never  accepts,”  as  so  graphically  illustrated  in  the  case of  Laman  and  Lemuel. Difficult situations  are the test  of  one’s  faith, to  see  if  we  will  go forward with either  a believing  heart  (D&C  64:34)  or  a  doubting  heart  (D&C  58:29), if  at  all. 

A  difficult  situation reveals  a person’s  character  and  either  strengthens  it,  as  with  Nephi,  or  weakens  and  corrupts  it,  as with  Laman  and  Lemuel  who  epitomize  what  it  means  to be  irresponsible.   (See  also Alma  62:41)." They are just like the children of Israel that Moses brought out of Egypt, except lucky for Lehi's family, they only got lost for 8 years instead of 40. In the case of the children of Israel, people wasted pretty much most of their lives suffering in the wilderness, despite the fact that Jehovah was 1) giving them manna from the sky, and then quail when they complained about the bread 2) giving them shadow by day and 3) pillar by night, and really providing all things for them, they STILL rebelled! 1 Nephi 17:30 says: "And notwithstanding they being led, the Lord their God, their Redeemer, going before them, leading them by day and giving light unto them by night, and doing all things for them which were expedient for man to receive, they hardened their hearts and blinded their minds, and reviled against Moses and against the true and living God."

Nephi is comparing their family to the children of Israel because notwithstanding all the Lord did for them, both parties complained, doubted and rebelled, and as a result, missed out on a lot of blessings, caused themselves a lot of unnecessary hardship, and wasted years of precious time. Imagine the patience and charity that both Nephi and Moses had. It must have incredibly frustrating to have to go through all that because of other people's choices, but each remained obedient and faithful.

Anyways I kind of got sidetracked a little. I was talking about Ephraim's rescue wasn't I? Well I guess the story of the Willie handcart company was different from Lehi's family and the children of Israel because their suffering was not necessarily caused by disobedience. In fact I'm sure that they saved themselves from a lot more suffering because they didn't rebel. Despite the horrific circumstances they were in, they remained faithful and hopeful. They understood that difficulty truly is no excuse when you have the God of Israel at your side.

Elder Toomer and I went on an exchange this week. It was seriously so much fun. We worked our tails off and talked to a bunch of people just like old times. My favorite moment was when I distracted a very big and very angry dog by barking at it while Elder Toomer jumped the fence into the front yard of a home, knocked the door, and talked to the people who lived there. No unhallowed hand (or paw) can stop the work from progressing.

Our investigator JC is progressing really well. He came to church yesterday, was able to make friends with some members, stayed all three hours and then stayed afterwards to eat some food that the relief society made. He loves the Book of Mormon, and because he knows a lot about the Bible, he understands it really well and it able to analyze it really well. Some times he teaches US about the Book of Mormon. He's the most solid investigator I have ever taught. He keeps appointments. He actually comes to church when he says he will, without us having to knock his door or call him. He reads on his own with us having to nag him to do it. It seems too good to be true. Someone pinch me.

I prayed yesterday that JC would have a good experience at church, and yesterday was probably my best Sunday in Memphis. A lot of people showed up, and all the meetings were filled with the Spirit. José seemed to really enjoy it. Prayer works.

Anyways things are great here and South Memphis. Please pray that I don't get transferred. I love it here. This is home.

I love all y'all, have a wonderful week!
Elder Jonathan Spencer Smalley
Arkansas Little Rock Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment