Sunday, June 24, 2018

Email setenta y seis: visit from two Apostles

January 29, 2018 
Hey y'all! This week was a doozy. A lot of cool things are happening within the area and the mission.

On Wednesday I went on an exchange with one of my Zone Leaders Elder King. I had talked to him a couple times, but never had gotten to know him super well. When I heard he was my new Zone Leader, I was really excited because he seems like a really cool guy. We had a really good exchange. It's kind of interesting because our area is full Spanish, meaning both Elder Alonzo and I are Spanish missionaries, but we also teach English, because we are the only missionaries in Dardanelle and Danville. We have an investigator named JW, who has a date for the 10th of February. The English Elders that were here before us taught her and did all the work. She is an older lady who grew up in the Pentecostal church but then went inactive. She loves the Book of Mormon, and loves the missionaries. We hadn't met her until Wednesday, because she had been sick the whole time. Elder Webb, one of the missionaries before us, had told me that she liked to talk, and boy was he right. She talked so much we lost control of the time and two hours went by. It made me realize just how desperate some elderly people are just for people that will keep them company and listen to them. It made me feel a little sad for them to be honest. But we had a good visit. We were able to teach her about Priesthood authority and why she needs to be baptized after already being baptized in the Pentecostal church.


Being with Elder King was super, we really had some deep conversations about everything from missionary work to high school and the people we were and are.

 I don't have much time so I'll skip ahead to what you're all waiting for. Friday night we drove the Russellville Elders down to North Little Rock and stayed the night with the North Little Rock Elders. We watched the worldwide devotional with Elder Christofferson. He talked about truth. One thing he said that really stuck out to me is that if we live lives full of truth and integrity, we will not have to try and cover up or find an excuse for our actions, our lives themselves will be our alibi (paraphrasing). I have a great deal of respect for that man, and not just because he's also from New Jersey. When I think of true class, I think of Elder Christofferson. The world might define class in materialistic things, such as wealth or standing. However, true class lies in the content of one's character. The way he conducts himself, the words he says and the way he lives. Elder Christofferson is the most dignified man I think I've ever seen. You can tell that his life speaks for itself.

 The next morning we woke up early to be at the Mission Office at 7:15. The entire mission got together for the visit of Elder Holland and Elder Uchtdorf. We ate breakfast then spent 45 minutes getting aligned for pictures. Then finally, we all were hushed as they told us they were in the building. Complete silence. You hear your own heart beating. Then, in walks Elder Holland. A slight gasp is let out. In walks Elder Uchtdorf. Another slight gasp.

 We lined up and shook there hands, and I was stressing the whole time, it felt very much like I had imagined judgement day. Then when it was my turn, I looked them straight in the eyes, and told them my name and where I'm from. Elder Klebingat of the seventy was there as well again, I think he's quickly turning into one of my favorite General Authorities.

 The meeting was amazing. The spiritual high point was when Elder Holland said: "The very last words on my dying breath will be that this is the truth." Boom. The Spirit of God testified to his words. I cannot and will not deny that. The Spirit hit me so powerfully, I had chills all over my body, and I began to tear up.

 I know that this is the truth. I am blessed to have heard two servants of the Lord testify of it. My resolve is to be more, to be better, to live more worthy of the Spirit.


I know Jesus is the Christ. To know Him truly is to know all that is good. Have a wonderful week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment