Sunday, June 3, 2018

Email sesenta y cuatro

November 6, 2017 
This week was incredible. We definitely saw some cool things happen. I love serving with Elder Diaz. He's very humble, and has a strong desire to share what he knows. He's a super quite guy, but he's already warmed up to me and we have a good time together. I just need to bust him out of his shell when we are around other people.

We still walked this week, because Elder Diaz doesn't have a bike helmet yet, and it looks like we'll be walking again this week. It's all good though, at first it was really frustrating having to walk everywhere, but then I remembered that most missionaries outside the US have to do the same thing for two years. At least I don't have to do it through the jungles of Peru while fending off spiders the size of small cats. It's always humbling to count your blessings. And also, we do have the enormous blessing of Facebook, so we really focused on online proselyting, and saw a couple really cool miracles from it.

On Thursday after two hours of talking to people on Facebook, I was itching to get outside and
contact, so I decided to hit up a complex full of Guatemalans so Elder Diaz could work his Guatemalan magic. It ended up being super solid, we talked to a lot of people, handed out two Book of Mormons (the only two copies we had on us), and met some cool people. While we were leaving we see this guy sitting by his window with it open blasting music, I didn't notice until I talked to him that he was crying and very very drunk. He told us he didn't think God would forgive him for all the things he has done. We let him vent to us for a while and got his number and told him we would come back.

On Friday we were in a store parking lot, talking to people getting into their cars. We walked over to one car, thinking these people were Hispanic, but they turned out to be Asian. We learned they were from Vietnam and Buddhist. One of them seemed interested. I told him we taught people about God. He didn't know who God was, so I told him I'd love to visit him and talk to him about God. He told me he didn't have a phone, so I left him with a pass along card with my name on it, and showed him what my Facebook profile looked like, not thinking much more about it because usually people never call or follow up with you when you simply leave a card with them. But lo and behold, the next day he sent me a Facebook request, and we started chatting on Messenger, and he really wanted to know who God was. It was so different talking to someone who didn't have at Christian background. It really was quite refreshing. Hopefully we will be able to keep in touch and keep teaching him.

Last night we taught a full Restoration lesson through Messenger, and it was honestly the coolest teaching moment I've had on the mission. It was so cool to copy and paste scriptures and send them. The lesson went perfect, and we were able to commit our investigator, JC
, to baptism. I now have a super solid testimony that the Lord is furthering His work through technology.

I still haven't come to full grasps that I've been out in the mission field over a year. That absolutely blows my mind. It's gone by so fast. To think that I have less than nine and a half months left being a missionary is scary, for the first time I'm starting to think about going home as something I don't want to happen. I have so much I need to work on. I'm not ready for life back home, and I have so little time to prepare. I still have so much growing up to do. I still marvel at how immature I am, and sometimes it just gets so frustrating. At times I feel so disappointed with how I act, because I know I'm not living up to His name. Then I watch the video on my camera from the MTC of me and the missionaries in my district making farting noises and laughing our heads off and realize that maybe, maturity wise, I have come a long way sing I started this whole thing. I sure had a long way to go back then.

I am so grateful to be out here on the mission, this is easily the best decision I've ever made. I know this is God's work. I'm so grateful to be a part of it. Have a wonderful week everyone, love y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment