Sunday, June 3, 2018

Email sesenta y seis

November 20, 2017
The first noteworthy thing that happened this week was Zone Conference. President instructed on studying using technology. He had invited me personally a few weeks ago to study the scriptures exclusively using my iPad. At first I was reluctant to do it because I was almost finished reading the Book of Mormon in my paper scriptures, but as a couple days went by I became more and more frustrated at how difficult it was to focus and have a good study. So I decided to make the switch and it has made a world of a difference. All the footnotes can be read with just a touch, and marking and writing notes is so much easier. I've noticed that as I read, certain phrases from some scripture or talk that I've read before will come into my mind, and I can't remember the reference. So I just search the
key words and boom; it pops up. You can link scriptures to others scriptures just like that. Personal study really is something I look forward to now. I'm super fortunate to be in a mission that uses the technology that we when so many missionaries are still walking everywhere, reading paper scriptures they brought from home, writing their plans down in a paper planner, and their area book is an enormous binder instead of an application. I really am blessed to be serving in an area of the world where this technology is authorized for missionaries to use. It really does further the work. Some of you may remember my earlier emails from when I first arrived in the field where I complained about having to plan on an iPad. Thankfully, I've been able to learn how much of a blessing this technology is.

Zone Conference was really fun, we spent a whole hour being chastised for not eating well enough. All in all in was very spiritual. We really focused on the Book of Mormon. Did you know that a nickname for the Book of Mormon is THE GREAT SEIVE? (Pronounced siv). Why? What even is a seive? A seive is basically a strainer that is used to clean water, especially for agricultural purposes. A seive cleans out all the dirt and contaminants and leaves behind clean water, so it's like a filter. The Book of Mormon is a seive because we can use it to find the elect. We teach and come in contact with a lot of people on the mission. Unfortunately, not all the people that are willing to meet with us are actually willing to accept the Gospel, in fact the majority aren't. But those who are pure and sincere in heart, and elect of God, will read the Book of Mormon and apply its teachings to their lives. Just like that, we can use the Book of Mormon to filter out those who aren't truly interested, and find those that are honestly seeking the truth. For that reason, the Book of Mormon needs to be the focus of EVERYTHING we do. What a powerful tool God has given us! So many people have relentlessly attack a book that has simple and beautiful teachings of the Savior Jesus Christ, because they understand the importance of
the validity of the Book of Mormon. We discussed Elder Tad R Callister's talk from this last General Conference, God's Compelling Witness: The Book of Mormon. "While someone might choose to believe the critics’ line of reasoning, it is, for me, an intellectual and spiritual dead end. To believe such, I would have to accept one unproven assumption after another. In addition, I would have to disregard the testimony of every one of the 11 witnesses, even though each remained true to his testimony to the very end; I would have to reject the divine doctrine that fills page after page of this sacred book with its supernal truths; I would have to ignore the fact that multitudes, including myself, have come closer to God by reading this book than any other; and above all, I would have to deny the confirming whisperings of the Holy Spirit. This would be contrary to everything I know to be true." Despite all the false accusations, this book stands as a witness that all that this church stands for is of God, because it is.

On Friday we had weekly planning, then right after we had another exchange with the Spanish East Elders, I went with Elder Sotomarino to his area. I got to drive for the first time in 3 months. We went to go visit a family in Walnut Grove, but they told us to come back in 2 hours, so we we spent the next hour and a half knocking doors. It was kinda rough, not a lot of people answered their doors, and we didn't find any Hispanics. Knocking doors isn't really something I like to do, for me it doesn't seem effective, I prefer to talk to people outside, but since winter is well on it's way, not a whole lot of people are outside. I decided to keep a good attitude about it, on the drive over we had listened to Missions are Forever by Elder Holland, an address he gave in the MTC years ago. That is probably the most inspirational talk on missionary work I have ever heard. Elder Holland's words kept me going that night. Then we came back and visited with the
D family. They are from Lima, Peru, so it's pretty cool that Elder Sotomarino is able to teach people from his own country. We taught them the Restoration, and it was an amazing, very long lesson. The husband had always questioned why there are so many different religious beliefs, and why some churches don't seem to live what they preach. We were able to teach him about the first vision and organization of the church, and he was fascinated by it. Hopefully Elder Sotomarino will be able to continue having success.

During weekly planning we had set a goal to find one family and make them new investigators. We were able to find two families this last weekend. Elder Díaz and Elder Short contacted a family that Elder Merrill and I had talked to a while ago, and they taught them a lesson. They said we can come over anytime and they really want to know more about the Book of Mormon. Then on Saturday we taught S, and his wife R. S is from Guatemala, but lived in Salt Lake City for a time. Since all his friends there where Mormon, he started attending Sacrament meeting. He started to be interested in the church, but moved to Atlanta and lost contact with the church. He really wants to come this next Sunday, and we are super excited for him!

Yesterday Elder Díaz and I rode down to Jacksonville, Arkansas, so that Elder Díaz could take part in the last musical tribute of the years. It was really fun, and guess who I saw? None other than the one and only Freddie Green! I was so happy to see him!

I am so grateful for this time to serve. I know the Book of Mormon is God's gift to us so that we can know the truth. I love y'all, have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment