Sunday, June 24, 2018

Email setenta y siete

February 5, 2018 
So I've been more responsible with my time, so now I have more time to talk about the Apostle visit last week.

So heading into the meeting, everyone was a little nervous about Elder Holland. He sort of has a reputation for chewing out missionaries on mission tours. I have heard missionaries say that he literally yells at most mission tours, especially if the missionaries aren't very obedient. And we also had Elder Klebingat coming, who is notorious for being a savage as well.

Elder Behesti, the area 70, spoke after President Hansen. Then Sister Klebingat spoke. She is from Russia, but just like her husband, speaks near perfect English. And just like her Husband, she is really good at teaching, and also kind of savage. She told us that companions have to be unified, and quoted Doctrine and Covenants 38:27 "...I say unto you, be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine." It's amazing to me that the Klebingats can teach so well in a second language. I hope one day to be at that level in Spanish. Elder Holland made a comment that the Klebingats look like the plastic figures on top of a wedding cake, and it was so funny because it's totally true!

Elder Klebingat said something very profound: "You can not possibly claim to truly love the Lord unless if you love His commandments. You should love them so much that you want more commandments, more promises, more blessings." I thought about this a lot. He also said that if we don't love the commandments, we can't love the doctrine, and if we don't love the doctrine, how could we ever hope to teach it to others?

President Uchtdorf's address was very President Uchtdorf-like. The accent, the hand motions, everything. His message was simple: trust in the Lord and keep the commandments. Honestly I didn't take a lot of notes on his talk or Elder Holland's, I wanted to focus on the Spirit instead of the words. One thing I noted from Elder Uchtdorf was a tremendous sense of love. It was incredible to be there and to listen to Him testify to us of the blessings of those two simple things. He knows the blessings because he has lived it. Elder Holland later remarked that the photo that he feels best describes Elder Deiter Uchtdorf is one of him as a 9 year old boy, with dark circles under his eyes. Elder Holland said: "Children don't have dark circles under their eyes. Adults do, but children don't. Unless if they're hungry. Unless if they're tired, and scared, and hopeless." His voice broke and he started to cry. "He was a refugee twice as a child. He knows what it's like to go without things that children should never go without. He knows what it's like to be poor, hungry, cold, and alone. And that is why he never fails to minister to those that feel the same." From a little refugee boy with dark circles under his eyes, Elder Uchtdorf has risen above his humble circumstances and become a mighty servant of the Lord, and one of the great orators of the last days. Elder Holland went on to say "When, as described as in Abraham chapter 3, Abraham saw all the noble and great ones, Deiter Uchtdorf was one of them. He was foreordained to come forth in these latter days to be one of the greatest teachers of the last dispensation. And you just got to hear him speak. Are we lucky or what?"

Elder Holland never did yell at us. In fact he admitted his past instances of "terrorizing other missions": "Some missions are terrified of me. Especially the disobedient ones. But this is a good mission. A few of you are struggling, but that's okay, that's normal."

Big sigh of relief. Instead of us getting chastised, Elder Holland was very tender with us. The most intense he got with us was when he said "When you go home, don't you dare act like this didn't change you! You go home and you testify that this was the greatest thing you have ever done, and you will NEVER be the same!" He was shouting then. He then said that the majority of the church views the missionaries as angels. He told us to be the missionaries that they think we are. I know personally when I was a kid, I thought that about the missionaries. It wasn't until I became one that I realized I'm still a kid, and a very imperfect one. All in all, the meeting was certainly one I won't forget. Elder Holland blew a kiss to us as he walked out.

On Friday we had dinner in Danville with the C family, less active Hispanic family. We had tamales and oh my goodness they were good. Oh how I've missed Hispanic food. Brother C is the manager of the apartment complex that they live in, so we asked him if we could go knock some doors, and he said of course. We met a man named L outside, and he immediately invited us inside. We met his wife, L, and they have three little boys. L immediately smiled when we walked in. Her boys were watching Cars 3 in Spanish. They moved here from Puerto Rico two weeks ago and are looking for a church. We gave them copies of the Book of Mormon, and they were so excited to read! We talked to them about what it is and how it can bless their lives, and they were very receptive. We also gave L a Restoration pamphlet and she immediately started reading it and was smiling the whole time. It was so cool! The dad said he felt like we were an answer to his prayers. We left that apartment absolutely giddy. When things like that happen, it just makes you indescribably happy.

One night at 8:30, we had just gotten done with a dinner appointment, and we had nothing planned for that late except 12 week (a 12 week study program for new missionaries). We passed by this really creepy looking house, and the Spirit said to try it. I kept driving. When I got to the stop sign, the Spirit said "Do you want to go home and have the regret of thinking of all the promptings you denied?" I flipped a U, we knocked. A man named G opened up, and was very friendly. He said his Grandma is inactive in the church and he has read over half the Book of Mormon. We talked to him for a while and he said we could come back.

Yesterday we visited Hermano B. His wife and children are active, but he doesn't go for a number of reasons. We just talked to him for a while, and after a bit he opened up to us a ton. That's kind of my approach to missionary work now. I try to talk to someone like a normal person, I become their friend, someone they can trust, and when I have that trust and the moment is right and the Spirit speaks to me, I testify from the heart. It has been working out so much better for me, no more robot missionary nonsense. I feel like it's helping
me really be a disciple of Christ, and it helps to come to know and love the people more.

After Hermano B, we talked to a guy on the street, and he said his dad would be willing to meet with us, so he took us inside and we taught the dad and read the Book of Mormon. The dad's name is E, he's also from Puerto Rico, and his accent is sweet! He started off talking a lot about how much he loves God and how much faith he has, and I thought "oh boy, another Hispanic that loves to talk and thinks he knows all he needs to know..." but as I actually listened to him, I received promptings of what to say and what to do. I received the prompting that instead of talking, we should just start reading 1 Nephi chapter one right then. It was so cool as we were reading I applied the Book to what E had been saying about his relationship with God. I tied that into prophets somehow, don't exactly remember how but the Spirit helped, and asked if God would take away His prophets precisely during the time that the world needed them most. E said "yeah you're right that wouldn't make sense." That opened the gate to testifying that there is a prophet on the earth today. It was awesome, I love lessons like that where the Spirit just guides you through, and you're not sure how it will work out, but it does.

Apparently the Eagles won the Super Bowl last night. I had a feeling they finally would while I was on my mission. Oh well😂 I'll take it. I only heard the score was 41-33, other than that I don't know anything else. Football isn't what's important right now.

On a more spiritual note: I found a sweet scripture this morning. 2 Nephi 9:21 "And he cometh into the world that he may save all men if they will hearken unto his voice; for behold, he suffereth the pains of all men, yea, the pains of every living creature, both men, women, and children, who belong to the family of Adam.

22 And he suffereth this that the resurrection might pass upon all men, that all might stand before him at the great and judgment day."

Remember, the Savior suffered absolutely everything for us. We won't ever be able to understand it perfectly until the perfect day, but we should try to, and treat it with the highest level of reverence.

Jesus is the Christ. This is His church. Salvation for the living and the dead comes only in and through following him. I love y'all, have a wonderful week!

Elder Wall goes home in 3 weeks, along with Elder Sotomarino!

No comments:

Post a Comment