Sunday, April 8, 2018

Email cuarenta: EL COMIENZO

May 15, 2017 
Hey y'all:) This week was pretty fantastic. I'm trying to use the word fantastic more now, because of something I remembered a couple weeks ago. While I was at McKay's wedding reception, almost 4 years ago, I had the chance to talk to a couple that he taught and baptized on his mission. The husband told me that one thing that really stuck out to him about McKay as a missionary, is that whenever he asked him how he was or how he was doing, the response was always: "Fantastic!" He said he really admired his attitude because of that. I've started putting that into practice, now instead of saying "good" or "bien bien", it's always "fantastic!" or "¡fantástico!" with enthusiasm. I've definitely noticed a change in my personal morale, and I've also noticed it puts a smile on other's faces. 

The transfer started off really well. Elder Jorgensen didn't end up getting back to Jonesboro from Little Rock until 8 o'clock because of a miscommunication. The good news was the whole ride back I got to drive a brand spanking new, 2017 Chevy Malibu. This thing was NICE. Wifi, touch screen, all the bells and whistles. This thing gave Grandpa's BMW a run for it's money. Previously during the trip to Little Rock I had discovered the amazing innovation of cruise control. Having learned how to drive on a twenty year old pickup truck, and never driven a mission car on any highways or freeways, I was new to this miracle of technology. It was awesome!  How cool it is that you can just keep your hand on the steering wheel and the car does the rest! I never knew what I was missing out on! Anyways, the Malibu takes it a step further. It has lane control, and automatic brakes. When you get on the highway, you can literally take a nap, and the car will drive itself! It's kinda like having bumpers while bowling, you just swerve from one side of the lane to the other, so you look like a drunk driver. The only defect is that it wakes you up from your nap by beeping at you once the lane control kicks in :/ pretty lame right? 

Anyways, upon our arrival to Jonesboro, we had to give up this wonderful feat of engineering to the Pocahontas Elders . Sadly, it was our turn for bike week. So we called up the one man any missionary can always count on. The one man that always puts a smile on your face when you hear his voice. The one man from the Jonesboro Ward that is both active and black. None other than....FREDDIE GREEN!  Seriously love this man!  He is more dependable than oxygen, more loyal than Lassie, and more sassy than Betty White. There is none like him. 

Anyways Freddie took us over to Bishop R's house, where we introduced Bishop to Elder Jorgensen. We talked about our investigators as well as who Bishop wants us to visit. It was a good chat, after that, we went to Sonic, because I literally had not eaten all day. I ordered their foot long chili dog, a large fry, and the largest shake they had (cost about $6), and downed it. I scare myself sometimes... 

Tuesday was super awesome, we went out with B for most of the day. B is such a stud, and so prepared to go on a mission, he already has great teaching skills and knows Preach My Gospel better than I do. We taught a couple really good lessons. We visited F. I think we are going to have to drop him. We were finally so close to getting him to come to Book of Mormon class two Wednesdays ago, but apparently his Mom from Mexico called him. Anyways he hasn't been reading or praying about the Book of Mormon, two things we have talked about so many times with him. He doesn't want to be baptized until he is sure the church is true, but he isn't willing to what is necessary to gain that knowledge. We think he just likes the missionaries coming over because he's become friends with us. 

Thursday we went out with C G, our neighbor from across the street that just got back from his mission in Ghana. We went and visited two of his friends that are actually from Ghana and it was so sweet! Their accents are super awesome! L and J are their names, and they are super cool. They ended up coming to church on Sunday! 

Friday was a super slow day, but our lesson with C W Jr made up for it. We taught him lesson three: The Gospel of Jesus Christ. The Spirit was so powerful. C Jr began to cry as we talked to him about bringing his family with him into the Gospel. He also came to church Sunday and will be baptized in the next two weeks! 

Getting to talk to my family yesterday was for sure a highlight. I am so lucky to have such wonderful parents and siblings, who had to put up with me for 18 years. I'm so grateful for such a faithful and loving momma.  I wish I could go back and be less of a punk and a better son to her. I'm so grateful that because of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ, and through sacred covenants, I will be able to be with my awesome family for all eternity! The Church is true, the Book is blue, my family is awesome Love y'all! No photos this week sorry y'all!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment