Sunday, July 1, 2018

Email ochenta y seis: two decades on earth

April 9, 2018
Yesterday was my 20th birthday. I had to keep reminding myself it was my birthday. In fact, I would forget throughout most of the day until someone wished me a happy birthday. I woke up, and thought, wow, I'm officially not a teenager.

Elder Alonzo brought me milk and his last four chips ahoy cookies immediately after I finished my personal prayer, but unfortunately I had to remind him it was fast Sunday. I still appreciated the gesture though, because he knows how much I love those things.

Then I opened up presents. I got some sweet socks, one pair with the outline of the Provo temple on them, and another with the Salt Lake temple, I was pretty pumped about that. We drove down to Danville, and attended Sacrament meeting, the word got out that it was my birthday pretty quick. I was able to tell Joyce the transfer news: I'll be staying in Dardanelle another transfer! Joyce was so happy to hear I was staying. President had told me I would be leaving in April, so I told Joyce long before hand that I would be leaving. As time got closer to the transfer, she would cry almost every time I came over, saying how much she would miss me. So she was very very happy to hear I will be here at least another month and a half.

She's been going through a rough time. She found out Sunday that her sister passed away after being in a coma for a few days. A couple weeks ago, her step-daughter passed away as well. And her parents passed away this time of year a couple years ago. She says the Lord is the only thing keeping her functional at this point.

After sacrament meeting we had to go to Russellville and pick up the Russellville Spanish Elders, Elder Bybee and Elder Lawrence, and drive to North Little Rock. Then from North Little Rock, we had the office Elders drive us to Jacksonville, where we participated in another Musical tribute, just like the ones we went to back in October. 70 or so of us missionaries sang songs related to the Restoration and Easter. The Spirit was definitely super powerful, especially as we sang
We cooked that!
a rendition of a medley of Amazing Grace and My Chains are Gone. The power of the Atonement really became real to me as I sang. I think I sang more beautifully than I ever have in my life last night, and I have no idea how, because usually my voice is no bueno.

After the tribute on the way back to Little Rock in the van, Elder Armstrong, our Zone Leader played the ukelele and we took turns free style rapping to the beat. It was honestly so fun and we laughed our heads off. I started this rap about Bible bashing preachers that was pretty good. Then all of a sudden, Elder Lawrence chimes in. Let's just say: Elder Lawrence is not the person that comes to mind when you think of rap music. Kind of nerdy and awkward. Not your typical MC. But his rap was hilarious! HE rapped about opening his missionary call. His last line was: "I read it out loud, and I thought, oh great.....I forgot Arkansas was even a state...." and then we all went nuts, screaming and yelling, it was hilarious because no one expected him to be that good!

It's good memories and times like that where you really think: man, I'm gonna miss being a missionary.

Anyways I gotta go! Love y'all! Have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment