Sunday, July 29, 2018

Email ochenta y ocho


April 23, 2018 
I've realized I haven't told very much about my companion Elder Alonzo. I love this kid. He grew up in Guatemala City until he was 18. He grew up not knowing his dad, who left his mom when he was a baby. He was raised by his Grandpa and his mother, who both met the missionaries and were baptized when he was a year old. His grandpa owned a few farms and made a good living. Elder Alonzo grew up with a better life than most people in Guatemala. They had a nice home and he drove a nice car as a teenager. On top of that he met a girl named Sandy, who noticed that he as a member of the church was different than the other kids at their catholic charter school. They started dating, and life was pretty much perfect. He had it all. Then some of the gangs in Guatemala City started pressuring his family for money because they knew they had it well off. The threats started getting worse and worse, and pretty soon Elder Alonzo and his mother feared for their lives. They applied for visas to come to the United States, and miraculously they were accepted in just a few months. They went straight to Oklahoma City, where his sister and brother in law were living. They had to start life all over again. Elder Alonzo started working in painting houses. He hadn't planned on going on a mission until 3 years later, when some full time missionaries sat down with him at a family home evening and talked to him about serving a mission. One Elder said that he had to forget about himself and learn to make sacrifices. The Spirit touched his heart, and three months later, he was in the mission home in Little Rock Arkansas.


He and I get along really really well. He's always super happy. He's like a little Guatemalan Ewok. He has a great sense of humor, and he is very obedient, and loves missionary work.

This week I read becoming a consecrated missionary by Tad R Callister. I've read it several times before, but this time probably impacted me the most. It was a wake up call for me. It talks about certain things that we as missionaries need to put on the sacrificial altar. It talks about putting our fears on the altar, and opening our mouth in all times in all places.

"First, we can leave our fears on the sacrificial altar and open our mouths with everyone. I recognize there may be multiple reasons why someone doesn’t open his mouth at all times and in all places—why he holds back a part of the offering. It could be a timid personality, or a fear of man, or a streak of laziness, but whatever the reason may be, it is never ever good enough. It never outweighs the Savior’s command which states: “At all times and in all places he shall open his mouth and declare my gospel as with the voice of a trump both day
and night.” And then comes the promise to all those who do: “And I will give unto him strength such as is not known among men” (DC 24:12). This injunction is repeated again and again in the scriptures On another occasion the Lord said, “And thou must open thy mouth at all times” (D&C 28:16). And yet again, “Lift up your voice and spare not” (DC 34:10). As to those who are unwilling to do so, the Lord warned: “But with some I am not well pleased, for they will not open their mouths but they hide the talent which I have given unto them because of the fear of men” (DC 60:2)

Sometimes in life we just have to square our shoulders and do it. There is no magic pill that makes us courageous, no passage of time that strengthens us, no memorized approach that emboldens us. We are left only with the compelling counsel of King Benjamin: “And now, if ye believe all these things, see that ye do them” (Mosiah 4:19).

Years ago, my grandfather was serving as the president of the Rotterdam Branch in Holland. He told of a woman who came to him destitute, who had earned the equivalent of an American quarter for the entire week. She asked if she needed to pay tithing. He looked at her for a minute in her impoverished condition, and then said: “Sister, if this were my church, I would not take your tithing. But this is not my church; it is the Lord’s church, and tithing is a principle upon which blessings of the Lord are predicated.” (LeGrand Richards Speaks, P. 185.) She paid her tithing.

If I could, I would exempt some who struggle from opening their mouth. I know how hard it is for them, but I cannot. The command to open one’s mouth is not my command. It is not the command of Preach My Gospel, it is not the command of the missionary department, it is the command of the Lord who has spoken on this subject again and again through his living prophets. Sometimes, we have to be like Nephi and say, “I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandment unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them” (1 Nephi 3:7). Sometimes we must do more than tell the stories of the Book of Mormon; we must live them."

It was incredibly humbling to read. I've been an incredible fearful missionary. For some reason I have no problem talking to Hispanics, but with Americans it seems so much harder. Hispanics are usually friendlier and easier to approach as a stranger. After reading though, I realized it is no excuse.

Since then, I've tried my best to talk to everyone. I've still chickened out a couple times, but I'm trying, and I've already seen a lot of blessings. First off, I've been a lot happier.

Well, I'm out of time, but I love y'all! The work here is going great. I love being a missionary. Have a wonderful week!

We got a brand new Malibu

No comments:

Post a Comment